Vision, Mission, and Guiding Principles
Monday, 06. 29. 2009
We believe that every individual has an equal right to the self-determination of gender, gender expression, and gender/body congruency and that the exercise of such self-determination is a basic right of all persons.
The Indiana Transgender Rights Advocacy Alliance (INTRAA) seeks to organize the transgender community and works through education and legislative efforts to create a society that values and protects freedom of gender expression and the right to gender self-determination for all.
Specifically, INTRAA works to:
- Insure freedom from social and government sanctioned discrimination against gender variant people in the areas of employment, housing, insurance, public services, health care, public safety, child protection and advocacy, and education.
- Eliminate harassment and violence motivated by ignorance, fear and hatred of transgender, intersex, bisexual, lesbian, and gay people.
- Change the law to incorporate advances in medical science and current standards of care with regard to the legal status of people who are transgender.
- Join in efforts to create a society free of shame, secrecy, and unwanted surgery for intersex people.
In carrying out its mission, INTRAA is guided by the following principles:
- All people, regardless of individual socioeconomic condition or degree of technological sophistication, should have an opportunity to participate fully in organizational activities.
- The interests and concerns of all classes, subgroups and minorities within the transgender community in Indiana are valuable and should be heard and fairly represented.
- Societal change should be attained through democratic, legal, and non-violent means.
- Mutual benefit can be achieved by working with other organizations in the pursuit of civil and human rights.
- “The rights of every person are diminished when the rights of one are threatened.” – John F. Kennedy
- Transgender Hoosier and Her Supporters Bring New Era to Muncie Hospital
- Transgender Hoosier Alleges Discrimination at Muncie Hospital
- “The Vagina Monologues” by Eve Ensler – Performance to Benefit INTRAA
- Log in
- Entries RSS
- Comments RSS
Each time a person stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope. That ripple builds others. Those ripples—crossing each other from a million different centers of energy—build a current that can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and injustice.
–Senator Robert F. Kennedy, 1966
- Atkin to open transgender support centre - Digital Spy
- Convicted rapist from Vineland wants the state to castrate him - Press of Atlantic City
- Glenn Beck's Cynical Invasion of DC - California Progress Report
- GOP sec. of state candidate takes hard right turn on LGBT issues - pride source.com
Matt Kailey – Examiner.com
- Changes for Transgender & Transsexual Issues Examiner September 5, 2010
- University of Pennsylvania student insurance plan to pay for transition costs September 5, 2010
- Arrest made in murder of New York transgender woman Amanda Gonzalez-Andujar September 5, 2010
- Women get prison in murder of transsexual man September 5, 2010
- The murders of transgender women must end September 5, 2010